Harry Potter Fans Disappointed by American Word for Muggle

American Word for Muggle

Photo Credit: Entertainment Weekly

Just a few days after the first promotional images for J.K. Rowling’s new Harry Potter universe film, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, were revealed, new details about the film have come to light — and many American Harry Potter fans aren’t impressed.

As well as the movie’s basic plot and some character descriptions, yesterday we learned the American word for ‘muggle.’ In J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series, ‘muggle’ means non-magical folk.

According to Entertainment Weekly, American wizards in Rowling’s new script use the word ‘no-maj,’ instead of ‘muggle.’ Change is never easy and the new Americanized term was instantly controversial.

“I just learned I’m a nomaj and not a muggle. Ugh,” tweeted YouTuber and recording artist Bryan Lanning.

Other Harry Potter fans took to social media expressing their exasperation at the term, calling it too spot on or rejecting it altogether. Many, like BuzzFeed writer Krutika Mallikarjuna, complained it was Rowling’s way of pointing out Americans’ stupidity because of its simplicity.

Seeing as American English and British English have different terms for a lot of things, it’s not surprising that there is an alternate term for ‘muggle.’ It was also revealed that the American version of The Ministry of Magic is called the Magical Congress.

No word yet on what the American wizarding school will be called, but after learning about the other terms, it’s unlikely to sound as ridiculous as Hogwarts. Rowling has revealed in the past that the name of the American school has “immigrant origins” although she doesn’t specify which country’s immigrants.

While the American terms do seem to lack imagination in comparison to the British words, it’s still too early to gauge the impact they will have on loyal Harry Potter fans.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them arrives in theatres November 2016.